Turkey Frying Safety Tips
If you plan to deep fry your holiday bird, be sure you know how to safely use the fryer, and take these precautions to protect yourself, your guests and your home.
- Fryers should always be used outdoors on a solid level surface a safe distance from buildings and flammable materials.
- Never use a fryer on wooden deck or enclosed space.
- Purchase a fryer with temperature controls and watch the oil temperature carefully.
- Make sure the bird is completely thawed before it is placed in the fryer.
- Do not overfill the fryer.
- Choose a bird no heavier than 12 lbs.
- Never leave a fryer unattended.
- Never let children or pets near the fryer.
- Use well insulated pot holders or oven mitts and wear long sleeves and safety goggles to protect from splatter.
- Keep an all-purpose fire extinguisher nearby.
- Once finished, carefully remove the pot from the burner, place it on a level surface and cover to let the oil cool overnight before disposing.
By following the above tips, you can have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving. Everyone at SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/Homer Glen would like to wish you and your family a "HAPPY THANKSGIVING".