"Baby it's Cold Outside!"
Once again the cold weather is upon us and in an effort to stay cozy and warm, people turn to alternative heat sources such as fireplaces, wood burning stoves and portable heaters to provide that warmth. Heating is the second leading cause of home fire deaths making it important to review ways to reduce the risk of a heating-related fire.
Maintain heating equipment and chimneys by having them cleaned and inspected annually by a qualified professional.
Use heating equipment that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
Keep flammable objects at least three feet away from heating equipment.
Plug space heaters directly into outlets. Do not use extension cords or power strips.
When using fuel-burning heaters, use only the type of fuel specified by the manufacturer.
Never use kitchen stove burners to provide heat, they were made for cooking only.
Install and maintain carbon monoxide and smoke alarms inside your home. Test alarms monthly.
Stay warm and be safe. Start the New Year out the right way and if needed, call SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/Homer Glen at 708-301-4200.