Most of us use household appliances on a daily basis. After all, these machines help to improve our lives with convenience and efficiency. Whether it be a washer and dryer, stove, dishwasher, refrigerator, or other cooking appliances, these items are used routinely. Although convenient, these machines can often malfunction and lead to home or apartment fires. Even so, these fires often happen while a homeowner is away and leaves an appliance running or leaves a cooking appliance unattended. SERVPRO of Lockport, Lemont, Homer Glen can be there to restore a commercial or residential property following fire and smoke damage and is always Here to help. To prevent a possible fire due to a household appliance and protect your property, here are three things you can do.
- Never leave an appliance running while away. Coming home to clean dishes from the dishwasher may sound nice after being away, but electrical issues may stem from heating elements which can cause fire.
- Do not overload your washer or dryer, and always make sure to clean out the lint trap.
- Never leave heated cookware on overnight such as crockpots. Use of these appliances should be supervised in case of a heating element or wiring malfunction.