Fire Damage? Here's What YOU Can (and Can't) Do
After a fire causes damage to your home, we understand that you want to restore everything from your home to your possessions to "normal" as soon as possible. Here are some active steps you can and can't take following a fire
- DO make sure everyone in your family is safe, including all beloved pets.
- DON'T enter the fire-damaged structure until the fire department deems it safe.
- DO document the damage with pictures once you have permission to reenter the home.
- DON'T turn on gas, water or electric utilities until a professional has deemed them safe.
- DO call insurance and utility providers to inform them of the fire.
- DON'T wash smoke-damaged clothing yourself. This can set the smoke odors or stains and ruin them. Smoke-damaged clothing should quickly be taken to the dry cleaner.
- DO Call SERVPRO of Lockport, Lemont, and Homer Glen: If you experience fire damage, call the cleaning and restoration pros at SERVPRO to restore your home to its normal as soon as possible.