Smoke Damage Tips
If your home or business suffers a fire, you may be at loss on what steps to take next. The following tips may help reduce damage and increase your chances of a successful restoration.
- Limit movement in the property. It helps prevent soot particles from becoming embedded into your carpet and upholstery.
- Keep hands clean. It could further soil upholstery, walls, woodwork, etc.
- Cover upholstery, rugs, and carpet traffic areas by placing dry, colorfast towels or old linens on them.
- If electricity is off, empty refrigerator/freezer. Clean completely and prop open doors to help prevent odors.
- Change HVAC filters; leave system off until a trained professional can check them.
- Cover air registers with cheesecloth. Tape double layers to prevent soot particles from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.