Five Dangers of Deep Frying a Turkey
A deep-fried turkey: delicious, but worth it? If you've seen any of the numerous videos of turkey fryer explosions and fires online, you may have asked yourself this question before. Running the risk of bodily injury or property damage is something to consider when menu plannning this holiday season.
* Turkey fryers can easily tip over, spilling hot cooking oil over a large area.
* An overfilled cooking pot will cause cooking oil to spill when the turkey is put in, and a partially frozen turkey will cause cooking oil to splatter when put in the pot.
* Even a small amount of cooking oil spilling on a hot burner can cause a large fire.
* Without thermostat controls, deep fryers can overheat oil to the point of starting a fire.
* The sides of the cooking pit, lid, and pot handles can get dangerously hot.